Buy a Gift Voucher
Beehive Nucleus Pickup Day - with mini workshop
This event is for people who want their own bees.
So you’re ready for your backyard beehive! Better book now as we sell out every year.
This event is for people who want their very own bees.
Full price of the Nucleus hive is $240.00 secure yours today with a deposit included of $90.00
Before you can attend this event there are a few of things you need to do:
- Complete a beginners beekeeping course. It can be one of our The Practical Beekeeper courses (see what we have on offer on WeTeachMe) or with another provider in your area. We highly recommend doing a course because a colony of bees is a complex superorganism, which requires a regular amount of work to manage and a few skills in order to maintain a strong, heathy and productive hive.
- Understand the Victorian Apiary Code of Practice. This code outlines simple things such as how many hives you are allowed on your block of land, and how close they can be to fences. Download a copy of the code here: http://www.dtpli.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/231519/Apiary-Code-of-Practice.pdf.
- Register as a beekeeper with The Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources. In Victoria you are required to be registered as a beekeeper even with just one hive, and this is easy to do online and is free if you keep less than 5 hives. To register online visit: https://dpi.payments.com.au/BEEKEEPER/NewRegistration.aspx
- Understand any additional rules your local council may have. Councils are responsible for enforcing the Victorian Apiary Code of Practice and sometimes add a couple of extra things to the list. Visit your Council website for more information.
- Have your traditional hive or flow-hive and extra frames ready to house your new colony of bees. Although your bees can stay in their corflute nucleus box for a few days it would be better to have everything set up and ready for them to move in. Remember once your bees are in it’s tricky to move them so set them up somewhere they can be happy! You’ll also need your veil, smoker, hive tool and other safety equipment.
We take beekeeping seriously, and only sell bees to registered beekeepers, please understand we will ask to receive a copy of your registration details during the sale process.
There are a limited number of nucleus beehives available for sale each year. Book now to place your deposit so you don’t miss out!
Hives will be available for pick up at a to be confirmed location in Melbourne’s inner north. Usually this is in Alphington - please note the dates may vary due to seasonality of the bees and we will give you lots of notice as we get closer to spring
Each pickup day will include a Refresher Workshop where you’ll learn how to do a hive inspection, how to check for diseases, and we’ll discuss hive management. The Refresher Workshop is ideal for people who have already completed a Beekeeping Course and just want to check their skills prior to picking up the hive.
We will also answer any questions you may have. The workshop will start in the mid afternoon and colonies will be available to take home at dusk. We will send more details closer to the date.
All you need to do now is book here to pay your deposit of $90 to secure your nucleus hive. Full cost of nucleus hives is $240 and the remaining $150 will be due by 1st September 2017* for the September pickup and 1st October* for October pickup
*Deposit refunds will be available for anyone who changes their mind up until 1st September 2017 for the October pickup or 1st October 2017 for the October pickup. A $20 administration fee will be applied to refunds. After these dates we are unable to refund any monies paid.
- 1 x 5 Frame nucleus beehive (corflute) complete with bees, brood and queen.
- Refresher Workshop for beginner beekeepers
- Sturdy footwear for the mini workshop as we will be outdoors
- Long sleave top and long trousers
As we are outdoors, please bring appropriate clothing for a walk in the parklands
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Please note there are no refunds on classes and classes cannot be switched post booking. By purchasing this class you agree to these terms and conditions. However, if you’re unable to attend please feel free to send someone else in your place. Bookings are strictly not transferable to other dates. Please double check the date of the workshop before booking, cancellations will result in forfeit of payment.
Terms & Conditions
Participation in Beekeeping classes and workshops are at your own risk. Whilst we take every precaution to take reasonable care of our customers, we acknowledge that bees and the natural environment can pose risk, and your attendance at our classes waives our liability for any injuries that occur. Payment of class or event is confirmation of your place(s) in the class. Minimum numbers apply for each class, if we require the class(es) to be postponed or cancelled, a refund or re-allocation to the same class or a different class of the same value will be offered.
We often take photographs during our workshops to share through our instagram @practical_beekeeper or with our community. If you do not consent to have your (or your child's) photograph taken and shared on our social media platforms and/or website please let us know before the workshop begins. You can send us an email prior to class or just give us a heads up at the start of class.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID 19, we may need to postpone our classes. In the case of postponement your booking will be transferred to another date.
Please note there are no refunds on classes and classes cannot be switched post booking. By purchasing this class you agree to these terms and conditions. However, if you’re unable to attend please feel free to send someone else in your place. If you are unable to attend on the day, last minute cancellations will result in forfeit of payment.
Disclaimer: Beekeeping material & information published and/or presented in any of our training courses or workshops, leaflets or on The Practical Beekeeper website is produced in good faith & for general information and The Practical Beekeeper or its proprietors will not be liable for any loss suffered by any person for action taken on the basis of such information.